Delivering Through Diversity covers two key areas necessary for employers to create meaningful diversity and inclusion (D&I) strategies. The first is the business case for diversity and the second includes four imperatives to impact business growth and performance. Over 1,000 companies representing 12 countries were included in this research that expands on the quantitative correlation analysis approach of Why Diversity Matters. The addition of qualitative research sharing leading practices of companies effectively engaging with D&I complete the report.
The Business Case
A few of the key findings linking diversity to financial performance are below:
- The relationship between diversity and business performance persists. A statistically significant correlation exists between a more diverse leadership team and financial performance.
- Gender representation in leadership roles matter. When examining the composition of executive teams, companies in the top-quartile for gender diversity were 21% more likely to outperform on profitability and 27% more likely to have superior value creation.
- Ethnic/cultural diversity matters. Companies in the top-quartile for ethnic/cultural diversity on executive teams were 33% more likely to have industry-leading profitability.
Developing A High Impact D&I Strategy
In addition to financial performance data points, the report provides the findings from studying 17 companies representing all major regions and multiple industry sectors who have successfully used D&I to meet their growth objectives. The following four imperatives were identified as critical when developing and effective D&I strategy.
- Articulate and cascade CEO Commitment to galvanize your organization.
- Define D&I priorities based on what drives your business growth strategy.
- Craft a targeted portfolio of D&I initiatives to transform your organization.
- Tailor the D&I strategy to maximize local impact
The full report and related resources can be found in the Vision, Strategy, and Business Case section of PIVOT, our Talent 2025 diversity and inclusion employer toolkit.